Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Goodbye Hostess

  If you walk into any grocery store in the country, you'll find frantic costumers stripping the shelves of all hostess products. Five days ago Hostess announced that they would be filing for bankruptcy after they laid off 18,500 workers and closed 33 bakeries nationwide. In response to bakers union strikes from employees across the country, Hostess had no choice but to file for bankruptcy as they had no options to solve the strike. CEO Gregory Rayburn said, "We deeply regret the necessity of today's decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike". 
  The closing of this company will take a toll on the country as thousands of jobs are lost and according to CNN Money, "Hostess had annual sales of about $2.5 billion". 
  As products are limited across the country, many people have started to sell Hostess products on Ebay for up to $3000, which I think is crazy. I was never a Hostess fan, so I will not be upset with their departure. What do you think? Are you sad Hostess is going out of business? 

2 comments:

  1. I found out that Hostess was going out of business from seeing random Hostess products on display on a shelf in my friend's kitchen! I do have to say that I am, likewise, not very sad about Hostess closing. After hearing about the worth of Hostess products on Ebay-- this really says something about our country and the value we put on certain items. I think this back ups America's stereotype of having obesity and laziness problems. It may have been a product people grew up with, but after all, I feel like it was always something that I just passed in the aisles at the grocery store and knew I would never eat. Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you brought up the idea of America stereotypes about obesity. It also makes me think why we are so set on having a specific "brand" of something. After all, there are many products like hostess, so why should we be so upset that one brand is going out of business.

    ReplyDelete